UNDER ATTACK

When you are under attack from the enemy's spirit of discouragement, you will not feel like praying. But you still must go to the secret place and be in Jesus' presence. Do not worry about trying to pray your way out of despair. This is the time for God's Spirit to go to work in you to lift you out of the pit.

When you go to the Lord, be honest with Him about how weak and helpless you feel. Let Him know, "Jesus, I'm dry. I have no strength left. If I'm ever going to get out of this depression, You are going to have to make it happen."

In such low times, the Lord is very patient with us. He does not expect us to exert some intense, fervent effort in prayer. He knows our condition, and He sympathizes with us. Just sit in His presence and trust His Spirit to do in you what He was sent to do. It doesn't matter how cast down you are, He will never forsake you!

We have the notion that every time we fail the Lord, the Holy Spirit flits away like a bird because He is grieved. But how could God's Spirit abandon me when I need Him most? If He leaves me whenever I fail and fall deep into discouragement, how can He be my Comforter?

Jesus promised us, "I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever . . . I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you" (John 14:16, 18).

When the devil's heavy spirit of discouragement settles over your life, you may be so distraught you cannot even whisper a prayer. But even so, you can talk to Jesus in your spirit. Just tell Him softly, "Lord, help me. This attack is too much for me. I can't do anything but sit here in faith. I am trusting your Spirit to drive it out of me.”