IN TIMES OF DISCOURAGEMENT

The first thing the Holy Spirit often does in times of discouragement is bring to your remembrance the precious promises of Jesus. He has done this with me as He flooded my soul with promises from God's Word. "Your life isn't over,” He assured me. “You don't know it, but the best is still ahead of you." The work of the Holy Spirit is to undo the lies of the enemy and bring encouragement from on high!

Multitudes of Christians enter God's presence every day expecting to be reproved by Him. How that must grieve our Lord. When we go to prayer, we ought to be prepared to hear a good word from our loving Father. For years every time I entered my prayer closet, I expected to hear a rebuke from the Lord. Thank God, He has taught me a better way.

On the other hand, there are entire denominations that avoid any mention of holy reproof. They say very little about sin because they want to preach only positive, upbeat messages. In the process, they ignore all the convicting, life-giving reproofs spoken by Christ and the New Testament writers. Such churches claim to preach a gospel of love, mercy and grace. But, sadly, they misuse God's grace, turning it into a license to sin.

I realize I am not writing this message to that kind of people. Rather, I'm speaking to overcoming Christians who avoid sin as one way of loving the Lord. I'm speaking to those who enjoy intimacy with Christ because they hunger and thirst for Him constantly. If this describes you, and you're downcast and depressed, please know it is happening because you are under attack for loving Jesus!

Be assured that all who wait on the Lord will receive His glorious promises:

"Since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him" (Isaiah 64:4).

"As it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God" (1 Corinthians 2:9-10).