BETTER THAN PENTECOST

John the Baptist never made it to Pentecost! He saw none of the cloven tongues of fire and did not hear the mighty rushing wind. He did not see Jerusalem shaken and multitudes converted. But John said his joy was fulfilled! He had heard something better than the rushing wind, better than good reports, better than the sounds of a joyful bride. He had heard the Savior’s voice.

“He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled” (John 3:29).

John tasted of the greatest joy a follower of Jesus can know. He said, “I stood still and I heard Him talk to me. His voice made my heart leap as He talked to me personally. I listened to my Lord. And that’s my joy—just hearing His voice.”

John could say, “I loved Him and worshiped at His feet. I told Him how unworthy I was. My joy, however, is not in what I said to Him but in what He said to me. I heard Him speak and I rejoice just in the sound of that voice.”

Some people teach that the Lord no longer speaks to men except through the revealed Word. They cannot believe men can be directed and blessed by hearing that still small voice today.

Jesus said, “My sheep know My voice; they hear when I call and another they will not hear.” But nowadays we are afraid of all the abuses, even though they are not God’s fault. Every fake vision, bogus prophecy, false leading is a direct result of man’s own pride and self-will. Man abuses every gift of God. Nevertheless, He still speaks directly to the hearts of those willing to hear.

“God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spoke in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son” (Hebrews 1:1-2).

“Wherefore, as the Holy Ghost saith, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts” (Hebrews 3:7).