WE WILL GIVE OURSELVES TO PRAYER

In the first-century church at Jerusalem, the Greek widows were being neglected in the daily distribution of food. Naturally, they sought the help of the leaders in the church.

The apostles did not feel right about giving up their study of God's Word and time in prayer just to oversee this administrative task, so they called together the church body and said, "It is not reason [good] that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables" (Acts 6:2). As a result, seven men of "good report" were appointed to handle all the church's business affairs. In the meantime, the apostles pledged, "We will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word" (Acts 6:4).

The result of this arrangement was: "The word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied" (Acts 6:7). The church grew because these men refused to neglect their primary task.

Very few pastors today will make this kind of sacrifice. One minister looked me in the eye and said, "I simply don't have time to pray. I'm too busy. There are too many demands on my time." Another pastor confessed to me, "I haven't prayed in months. I meditate and have quick devotions occasionally, but I can't bring myself into the discipline of prayer."

I don't want to condemn any hardworking, devoted minister of God. But the fact is, every servant rises and falls to his own master, and many preachers of the gospel today are not aware that they have become victims of a satanic conspiracy of interruptions. They are constantly on the run, bogged down under an avalanche of duties and details.

I thank God we are never at the mercy of Satan or any of his devices. We can expose his tactics, speak the word of faith, and in Christ’s name stop every single interruption. By the power of God’s Spirit within us, we can clear our path to the Lord’s gates and come boldly to His throne of grace to receive help in our time of need. That is what the Lord desires for all of us.