THE BANK OF HEAVEN by Gary Wilkerson

Lately I haven’t been able to shake a certain image from my mind. It’s of a heavenly bank, where God’s people come to transact business. This bank is always open so that we can make deposits, passing to the teller all our sins, anxieties, worries and cares. Of course, the vault where those deposits are taken is the throne room of God’s grace.

We can also make withdrawals from this heavenly bank. At the teller window sits the Holy Spirit, ready to dispense any and every resource of heaven. When we step up to that window, we have the ability to withdraw endless reserves of God’s grace, power, faith and hope.

As I envision this bank, I realize many of us in the church make a lot of deposits, but we don’t make nearly as many withdrawals. Instead, when we step up to the window we ask for a pittance. “Lord, I don’t want to bother You,” we stammer, “but I need a little extra grace to get me through this present problem. If You can just get me going, I can handle the rest.”

I’ve got news for you: God doesn’t want us to “handle the rest.” He wants us to deposit everything to Him: all our anxieties, struggles, sins and heartaches. And He wants us to draw on His infinite resources, which are stored up for us in His vaults. He wants us to say, “Lord, I’m through asking for ten dollars’ worth of faith to get me through a problem. I need Your grace in denominations of thousands. And I want it not only to solve my problem, but to see Your glory established in the earth. From now on, every time I come to this window, I’ll ask for a greater outpouring of Your Spirit. I need more of Your life, Your breath, Your movement within me!”

“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16, ESV).