ENCOURAGEMENT FROM HIS WORD

I recommend you take the time to read the powerful words of Psalms 142 and 143 to encourage your faith. As I was reading them, I wondered what David was going through when he said, “When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path” (142:3). He repeats this in 143:4: “My spirit is overwhelmed with me; my heart within me is distressed.” David is actually saying to God, “I am drowning in trouble. I am under attack by my enemies. It is bringing me low.” He cried to the Lord, “Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low . . . Bring my soul out of prison” (142:6-7).
Beloved, these words are written for our sake, for our instruction. Here is encouragement for all of God’s people who are overwhelmed by troubles and afflictions.
The truth is, most of us live in a world where life can be absolutely overwhelming at times. Like David, we face a flood of troubles; we are afflicted even in our righteousness.
It is in our overwhelming times we learn to seek God and learn to cry out in our pain. David said, “I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble” (142:2). “In Your faithfulness answer me” (143:1). Are you even now overwhelmed by circumstances in your life? Do what David did:
“I spread out my hands to You; my soul longs for You like a thirsty land” (143:6).
Be encouraged. God has everything under control! He will meet your need right on time.