THE BREATH OF LIFE by Gary Wilkerson

Elisha inherited from Elijah the role of prophet in the land. In 2 Kings 4, we see where he encountered one of his first big tests. The son of a Shunammite couple had died and in desperation, the wife cried out to Elisha, “I’ve prayed and fasted, but I’ve received nothing from the Lord. I don’t understand what God is doing and this is more than I can bear. I have no strength to go on.”
Elisha responded by doing something rather unusual. “He said to Gehazi (his servant), ‘Tie up your garment’” (2 Kings 4:29). In other words, “Gird up your loins.” Then he said, “Take my staff in your hand and go. If you meet anyone, do not greet him, and if anyone greets you, do not reply. And lay my staff on the face of the child.”
Gehazi obeyed Elisha but when he laid the staff on the face of the dead child, nothing happened. There was still no sign of life so Gehazi returned to Elisha and told him, “The child has not awakened.”
I ask you, what do you do when everything you’ve tried brings no visible result? Where do you turn when all your effort does not accomplish what you hoped?
There comes a time when our only resource is Jesus! He alone is our solution. In this story, Elisha is a type of Christ. He went to that Shunammite family and literally stretched himself out over the boy’s body. When he was face to face, foot to foot, hand to hand with the dead child, he breathed into him.
And then? Scripture says the boy sneezed seven times and opened his eyes. He was alive!
What brought about this miracle? Jesus Himself breathed into the situation. When we have no hope, no resources, no ability, Jesus breathes His supernatural life into our circumstances.
Make this your prayer: “Lord, I have nothing — You have everything. Nothing in this world can compare to You and Your power and I need You now. I cannot breathe life into my situation but You can, Lord.”