GOD HIDES HIS FACE FROM WICKEDNESS

God “hides His face” from all foolishness and mockery (see Jeremiah 33:5). Yet He never hides Himself from those who shut themselves in with Him. He told the prayerful Jeremiah, “Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth” (Jeremiah 33:6).

These were amazing words! God was telling the prophet, “Believe it or not, Jeremiah, I am going to heal My people. In fact, I’m going to lead them into abundant peace and truth! I’m about to bring a great cleansing, with new mercies. And My Church will once again be a place of joy and true praises, where all bondages are broken!”

The Lord then gave this glorious covenant promise: “Thus saith the Lord of hosts: Again in this place, which is desolate without man and without beast, and in all the cities thereof, shall be an habitation of shepherds causing their flocks to lie down” (Jeremiah 33:12). He was saying, “I’m going to establish a multitude of godly priests in cities everywhere. And they’ll serve Me in truth, causing My sheep to lie down in rest!”

In every city and town, whether in the mountains or valleys, the north or south, there would be a "sheepcote"—a pen for the flock—with a shepherd to watch over it. And “the flocks [shall] pass again under the hands of him that telleth them, saith the Lord” (verse 13). This verse speaks of intimate, personal concern for every sheep. God was saying, “These godly priests will care for My people individually!”

The Lord then summed up His blessing of restoration, saying, “Behold, the days come . . . that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah” (verse 14). This “good thing” sounded almost too good to be true. Not only would God cleanse His Church and restore His people but He would provide them with godly shepherds!

Only the Lord Himself could perform such an amazing work. No evangelist, teacher or new movement could accomplish it. It would happen only by covenant promise. I believe God was speaking these promises to Jeremiah about our day.