A VERY PRESENT HELP IN TROUBLE

Many dear Christians tell me true stories of incredible hardships — problems that keep piling up, discouragements that keep coming at them. Humanly speaking, they all seem to be impossible situations and my heart goes out to every believer who experiences such trials.

Every Christian must be convinced that he or she is precious, loved—and that God is near. In fact, the nearer the enemy comes, the more faithful God is to reveal His nearness and the more tightly He will hold His precious child's hand.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1). The root word for trouble here is "a tight place." Are you in a tight place? Read God's promises to get you out of that place:
  • "The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee; send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion" (Psalm 20:1-2). 
  • "I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities; and hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room. Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly" (Psalm 31:7-9). 
  • "Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men! Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues” (Psalm 31:19-20). 
  • "Blessed be the Lord: for he hath shewed me his marvelous kindness in a strong city. For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: neverthless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee. O love the Lord, all ye his saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord" (Psalm 31:21-24).