THE LORD IS NEAR

God is more prepared to keep His promises to you than the devil is to ruin you. Indeed, no matter how near the enemy comes to you, the Lord is all the nearer.

"They draw nigh that follow after mischief; they are far from thy law. Thou art near . . ." (Psalm 119:150-151). David said, in other words, "God, if my enemies are drawing so near to destroy me, You are all the nearer in my time of need."

The Hebrew word for near in this verse connotes "defense." It means, "I am near you to defend you." God says He is especially near to defend the downcast and brokenhearted:
"For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones" (Isaiah 57:15).
"The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit" (Psalm 34:18).

Are you a child of God? Does the Lord Jesus live in you? God says He is near to you in your anguish. Here is His promise to you:

"I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

"For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour. . . . Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life. Fear not: for I am with thee" (Isaiah 43:1-5).

David saw God as holding him ". . . by my right hand" (Psalm 73:23). He said, "God not only is near me, but He is walking with me, hand in hand, through this whole mess. Let all my enemies come after me. I've got my hand in the Father's!"

Moreover, David said God talked to him, giving him counsel and guidance: "Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel" (verse 24).