I’D RATHER HAVE JESUS by Gary Wilkerson

Here is the promise of all promises: “I will never leave you and I will never forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5). The promise is just simply J-E-S-U-S. Jesus is my promise and the core of all my promises.

It’s like that old song, I’D RATHER HAVE JESUS.

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or land;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand.

I’d rather have Jesus! If we will comprehend the central, singular, soul-conviction that the promises of God are encapsulated in Jesus, then everything else is diminished. Nothing can compare with this one promise! If you have Jesus, then the response to all His other promises will be, “That’s good! I believe that. Thank you, Lord. Thank you for letting me drink from this cup.” Everything pales in comparison to the fact that I get to know Him. I get to walk with Him. I get to love Him. Jesus’ presence is central, better than any other promise any of us could possibly have and He is free for the asking. He is saying, “Just call on My name and I will come.”

If you will just come to Jesus, He will become illuminated in your life. He will become first and be your everything. People who have that centrality of focus on Jesus Christ are the people I see walking in the fullness of their promises. And people who lose sight of Jesus and begin to emphasize the promises more than Jesus begin to struggle. They start to drift and their journey stops because they are not finding the fullness of life that is found in Jesus Christ.

I covet a lot of things for you because I love you. I covet ministries for you that go beyond your wildest dreams.

As the Bible says, “Seek first the kingdom of God and all these other things will be added unto you” (see Matthew 6:33).