FACING DOWN THE DEVIL’S LIES

The devil comes at us with intense trials but we are not to fear him. John Knox, one of Britain’s most powerful preachers, is a great example of how we can face down the devil’s lies. His awesome preaching caused kings and queens to tremble and he lived a righteous life that backed up the gospel he preached, uncompromising to the end.

In Knox’s later years, when he became terminally ill, Satan faced another deadline. This man had angered hell probably as much as the apostle Paul had. So in the short time he had left, the devil set out to send Knox into eternity in fear and unbelief.

Knox wrote, “All my life I have been tested and assaulted of Satan. But my present test has assailed me most fearfully. He has set to devour me, and make an end of me. Before, he often would place all my sins before my eyes. He tried to ensnare me with the allurements of this world. But the Spirit broke those attacks. Now he has attacked me another way. This cunning devil has labored to persuade me that I have earned heaven by my faithfulness to my ministry!”

Knox knew that salvation came by faith alone. He had preached this all his life, stating clearly that no one can be saved by his own righteousness, no matter how many good works he had done. But now Satan tried to damn the preacher by tripping him up over his own faithfulness!

Just before he died, Knox testified, “Blessed be God who has enabled me to beat down and quench this fiery dart by passages from the Scripture. By the grace of God, I am what I am, not I, but the grace of God in me. Through Jesus Christ I have gained the victory. The tempter shall not touch me again in this short time. I will soon exchange this mortal life for blessed immortality through Jesus Christ!”
Thank God for the testimony of John Knox! He used Scripture to stand against Satan, and the Lord delivered him. He went home to glory singing God’s praises!