THE WAY OUT

Your way was in the sea, Your path in the great waters, and Your footsteps were not known (Psalm 77:19).

God has promised
To make a way of escape
From temptation—
A way that leads to the sea,
A path into deep waters.
I complained
And my spirit was overwhelmed.

A way of escape?
Into the sea?
Deep and great waters?
I communed with my heart
And made diligent search.
The deep waters surround me;
I swim in a sea of trial.
Has the Lord cast me off?
Does he no longer favor me?
Is his mercy gone forever?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
In anger has he shut me up
In a sea of confusion?
Then I remembered,
Thou leadest thy people like a flock
By the hand of Moses
Into great waters.
The waters saw thee, O God
And they were afraid.
The depths . . . were troubled;
They obeyed
And the waters parted.
I too will walk by faith
Into great waters,
And if I cannot hear your footsteps behind me,
I will walk on.
I will remember
How he divided the sea
And . . . made the waters to stand as a heap.
I will pass through
With them.