GREETINGS IN THE WONDERFUL NAME OF THE LORD

I recommend you take the time to read these powerful Psalms, 142 and 143, to encourage your faith.

I was interested in what David was going through when he said, “When my spirit was overwhelmed in me, then you knew my path” (142:3). He repeats this in verse 143:4, “My spirit is overwhelmed in me; my heart within me is desolate.” David is actually saying to God, “I am drowning in trouble. I am under attack by my enemies. It is bringing me low.” He cried to the Lord, “Hear my cry, for I am brought very low… Bring my soul out of this prison” (142:6-7).

Beloved, these words are written for our sake, for our instruction. Here is encouragement for all of God’s people who are overwhelmed by troubles and afflictions. Some are drowning in financial troubles, overwhelmed with debt. Multitudes of precious believers can hardly make ends meet. Many widows and elderly couples are barely making it.

Often I have been accused of being too gloomy, too negative. People say nobody wants to hear bad news, that they turn off any preacher who talks about pain, suffering and troubles. But the truth is, most of us live in a world where life can be absolutely overwhelming at times. Like David, we face a flood of troubles; we are afflicted even in our righteousness. We endure sickness, death of loved ones, times of confusion, not knowing what to do next. We face hellish attacks of Satan against our faith.

It is in our overwhelming times we learn to seek God and learn to cry out in our pain. David said, “I poured out my complaint before him, I showed before him my trouble” (142:2). “In thy faithfulness answer me” (143:1). Are you even now overwhelmed by circumstances in your life? Do what David did:

• “I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsts after thee, as a thirsty land” (143:6).

• “Hide not your face from me… Cause me to hear your loving kindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul to you” (143:7-8).

• “Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies: I flee to you to hide me. Teach me to do your will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness. Quicken me, O Lord, for thy name’s sake: for thy righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble” (143:9-11).

Be encouraged. God has everything under control! He will meet your need right on time.