HE DESTROYS THE POWERS OF DARKNESS by Gary Wilkerson

As Jesus was teaching in the synagogue, a man possessed by an evil spirit cried out, “Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us?” (Luke 4:33, NLT).

Look at that question, “Have you come to destroy us?” Now we’re really hitting a home run here, because Jesus doesn’t just interfere, He destroys.

I am so blessed to hear the word “destroyed” in this text because if something is just interfered with, my fear is that it might come back. Has anybody ever had anything that went away and then came back? Last year at this time I said I was going to lose twenty pounds. Well, I lost twenty pounds and then I gained it all back—plus five more. So for me, interfering is insufficient. I need the thing destroyed, how about you?

We thank God that He interferes, but most of all we are glad He destroys the works of the enemy. Jesus said, “I came to destroy the works of the evil one.” If a whole plan was written against you in the pit of hell, He would not just interfere with it, like cross off one point, but He would take that plan, tear it into a thousand pieces, and throw it into the fire. Satan would ask, “What did you do with my plan, my intentions to destroy this person’s life?”

“The Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil” (see 1 John 3:8).

Jesus destroys what was aimed at destroying you, did you know that? He’s there to destroy the powers of darkness in your life.