A SENSE OF UNWORTHINESS

Suddenly, we are plagued by a sense of unworthiness. We turn inward, thinking, "I did it again! I haven't changed at all. I'll never be Christlike. I still react like a babe, not a mature Christian. Why haven't I changed?"

Beloved, the devil wants you to keep worrying over your shortcomings and lack of growth, thinking the race is impossible, so that you will become discouraged and drop out.

It is certain that we will stumble at times because the race is going to continue until our Lord returns. But we must always get on our feet and continue moving on.

God's Word speaks of overcoming: "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world" (1 John 5:4). "He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son" (Revelation 21:7).

To overcome is to "conquer and get the best of all temptations and obstacles." What are our obstacles? They are every new reaction in the flesh, every failure to be Christlike, every uprising of temper, bitterness or agitation.

David wrote, "My sin is ever before me” (Psalm 51:3). This man was exposed before the whole world as an adulterer and a murderer. He also wrote, "For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me. . . . I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long" (Psalm 38:4-6).

What if David had worried and fretted over his failures? He repented wholeheartedly and therefore he could say, "Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness" (Psalm 30:11).

The fastest way to get rid of "a sense of unworthiness" is to trust in Christ's forgiveness. And He is ready to forgive at all times: "For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee" (Psalm 86:5).