OUT OF THEIR MINDS

“Every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell” (Matthew 7:26-27).

The law is not intended for the person whose obedience springs out of a desire to please God. He is not concerned about what is legal or illegal, what is permitted or forbidden. He has only one criterion: "What does my Lord desire?"

You can lay out all the law before him — all the rules, regulations and prohibitions — and he will say, "You don't have to tell me not to do those things. I wouldn't do anything to hurt my Father. I love Him! I've already forsaken the world and its lusts to go after Him whom my heart desires.

"Show me what He wants, not just what He forbids. I want His heart's desire to become my actions. I want to know His mind and obey it. Sure, I love His law. But that's for the lawless, for those who haven't come into a knowledge of intimacy with Christ. I have another law at work in my heart. It's the law of love, one that says, 'Lord, what can I do to please You today?'"

Such a person isn't moved by threats of hellfire, or even by rewards. He needs no prophet to shake him, no warnings of judgment. He is in love with Jesus and his obedience to God's Word is a natural outgrowth of this love. It is as natural to him as breathing.
On the other hand, the person who builds his house on sand does so only for show. It is a temporary lifestyle. He reasons that he'll live in that house for five years, then sell it and leave the problems to someone else. It's only a facade with no real foundation!

You see, this person doesn't believe a storm is coming. He doesn't want to think that things are going to get hard. That is the way the world deals with eternity: They simply don't think about it. A Christian celebrity once asked one of the late-night talk show hosts, "What do you think about eternity?" He answered, "I try to put it out of my mind."

Tragically, a lot of Christians also try to put eternity out of their minds. They try not to think that judgment is at the door. They don't want to believe that one day they'll stand before the Lord and answer for everything they've said and done.