GO TELL THE BRETHERN

When Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene in the garden by the tomb, she supposed that He was the gardener. Her heart was heavy and she cried out, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him” (John 20:15).

"Jesus said to her, ‘Mary!’ She turned and said to Him, ‘Rabboni!’ (which is to say, Teacher)" (verse 16). Jesus knows the names of those who love Him—and He called Mary by her name.

Jesus then told her, "Do not cling to Me" (verse 17). Jesus knew Mary was not going to let go of Him. Her heart was crying, "I lost You once, but I'm never going to lose You again!"

It must have taken a lot of courage for Mary to heed Jesus' words to her. You see, He told her He was going to be gone for awhile and she should go to the others and ". . . say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father’" (verse 17).

Mary quickly returned to the disciples who had returned home after seeing that Jesus was no longer in the tomb. These simple fishermen were gathered together in one room, perhaps cleaning their old fishing gear. They were not theologians but they had been trained for three years at the Master's feet.

It was Mary, however, who had the revelation! These men had to sit and listen to a woman who had heard from Jesus. Can you imagine the scene? "What did He say? What did He look like?" Mary answered simply, "All I know is, I saw Him. And He told me to come here and tell you something!"

I love to hear devoted men and women of God say the words Mary said: "I've heard from Him and I have something to say!" The cry of my heart every time I prepare to preach is, "Lord, if You are not going to talk to me, I am not going to talk to them!" Like Mary Magdalene, we should all have a heart so given to the Lord that He gives us His mind and says, "Go tell the brethren!"