PRAISE GOD FOR HIS TENDER MERCIES

I have a short message for those who are experiencing a painful, overwhelming situation. I am not speaking to those who now enjoy a time of rest from suffering, who are not in any kind of pain or sorrow. Thank God for those times of quiet rest.

Rather, I receive so many letters from precious followers of Jesus who are living with incredible inner sorrow and crisis situations: divorce, children on drugs or in jail, the death of a spouse. A woman who is so in love with the Lord grieves over the death of three of her children, who suffocated in a fire. A pastor grieves for his wife, who left him and his children for a lesbian lover. It goes on and on, as so many godly people are burdened with grief and pain.

I have a message for you who suffer sorrow, who grieve or live with pain. In Psalm 40, David cried, “Innumerable evils have compassed me about… Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me” (Psalm 40:12-13). “Let all those that seek you rejoice and be glad in thee… But I am poor and needy; the Lord thinketh upon me; thou art my help and my deliverer; do not tarry, O my Lord” (40:16-17).

I have been so blessed and comforted by this one line in verse 17: “The Lord thinketh upon me.” Imagine that. The Lord God who created all things, the God of this universe, is thinking about me.

Even now, at this very hour, his thoughts are about you, in your hour of need.

When Israel was captive in Babylon, mourning over the loss of homes and families, enduring grief and trouble, God sent word to them through Jeremiah: “For I know my thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not evil, to give you an expected end” (Jeremiah 29:11). God said to his people, “Your nightmare is going to end. I have only good, loving thoughts toward you, and if you seek me with all your heart, you will find me” (see Jeremiah 29:11-13).

God is not mad at you. Saintly people do get afflicted, so do not waver in your trust in him. In times of stress and feelings of loneliness and regrets, go to prayer. Pour your heart out to the Lord. He is thinking of you – and he is at work for you.